View Troy Gorostiza's profile on LinkedIn

Monday, February 12, 2007

Week 13 2/12/07

On Saturday 2/3 we did another brick workout, this time in a business park / residential area of Carlsbad. We rode a 5 mile circuit and ran about 1.15 miles. I did this workout 5 times and had a great workout. The next day we had our second ocean swim at La Jolla and what a beautiful day it was. I think it was close to 80 degrees at the beach on a day in February.....dang we are lucky to be living here. This swim was much more intense and we actually did more swimming this time around, much less of a Chinese fire drill. I ended up doing the circuit of out and back 3 times, with the third time being a bit shorter since Ryan D (pic on right) and I raced on our way out through the waves and pretty much exhausted ourselves. All in all it was a good swim and mentally now I am getting used to knowing I will be able to swim a mile in the ocean.

On Monday 2/5 I decided to go to a yoga class for my first time. I have done some yoga poses, but never went to a class. So for my first time I decided to go to the gym first, work out for over an hour, then go to yoga. What an idiot i was....first of all why would anyone go workout for an hour before they go to yoga? Second, this yoga class was called warrior yoga, that should tell you it might not be all the relaxing and third of all, it was a hot day...over 80. So I go to the class and am sweating so bad within the first 5 minutes I am trying to find a way to bail on the class without looking like an idiot. Oh well, I make it through the 90 minutes class, sweat about 10 lbs away and create many laughs.....good first time for the class......also last time...never doing that thing again.

Tuesday I took the night off from swimming and had a good friend make me some dinner, oh so nice to take a day off and just relax. As for Wednesday, wow what a great track workout. We did a few miles of warm up, then stretched, did abs and then started our workout. The group I was a part of did circuit training. We did 1200m (3 times around the track), then ran up a pretty steep hill at our 5k pace (3.1 miles), so it was pretty high intensity, definitely in the anaerobic range if following heart rate monitoring. After two of these circuits we did some plyometrics to build leg strength and speed, then did another 2 circuits and then finished with a cool down....forgot to mention the race on the last lap.....i took off from the pack at just the right time....since they tried to run me down but i had too far of a lead.

Thursday I did a solo swim at Coronado pool...was great to get it in since i missed one on Tuesday night, but it was not my best swim.....need to have a good one again next time.

Saturday - Another brick workout. This time we started off at Fletcher Cove (Solana Beach) and rode up through Rancho Sante Fe, past the dam at Lake Hodges and then stopped to go into a transition to run at the country store. From there I took off with Nuno and Coach on a 4 mile trail run, 2 out and 2 back....what a great conversation we all had....actually it was just coach telling stories, but I laughed a lot. Once back from the run got right back on the bike, rode down the big hill by Lake Hodges that I just rode up and then down it again and headed back to Fletcher Cove. Nuno smoked me up the hills on the way back....my legs were pretty shot...but I got some help from the street lights and bet him back to the cove..... :) After the workout, went straight home, showered got read and went to a wedding, nonstop I tell you.....but that is what you learn to do when training for a triathlon....gotta just keep going.

It rained Sunday 2/11 and the swells were about 8 feet so we did not have an ocean swim....which made me have a nice lazy day.

Some Various Pics from Tamarack Beach Brick































No comments: