View Troy Gorostiza's profile on LinkedIn

Friday, February 02, 2007

Week 11 2/2/07

Well it has been almost 2 weeks since my last posting, man time really flies. I am trying to remember all of my training activities sover this span....hmmmm....I will just start with Saturday 1/27. This was one of many true "bricks" to come. A brick is when you combine two of the three events of the Tri into a workout. We met at Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad where the Carslbad Tri is actually held. I did a 5 mile bike ride along the coast and then headed into the parking lot at the beach to the transition area where I slid off my bike shoes, put on my running shoes, grabbed my water bottle and took off into the run.

The run was .7 miles on the boardwalk and then .7 miles back to the transition area...but in sand. From there I hopped back on my bike and did this circuit a total of 4 times without stopping. What a great workout this was...I liked the quick short distances...it really brought out my competition.
On Sunday we did our first Ocean Swim...at La Jolla. Wow, this was exhilirating and needed....I drank quite a few beers/shots the night before and what better way to beat a hangover then jumping in 57 degree water? The swim went well and is now a great pre-cursor to the weekly Sunday Ocean swims...I cannot believe we will actually swim from the shores to the cove and back in 8 weeks....that is a 2 mile swim.

Monday I did my usual spin class, sweating all over the place. Tuesday I did the swim at JCC, but this was the first week we were on our own...no more coached swims since we now have coached ocean swims. I could not belive only 6 of us showed up to swim, but what do I care? I ened up with my own lane and could do what I wanted.

Wednesday track practice was changed to a beach sand interval workout because of the rain....dang. These are tough workouts. You go from South Mission at the Jetty to the PB Pier going in and out of the sea wall alternating between sand and the boardwalk. 100% on the sand and about 10% of max recovering on the boardwalk.

Thursday brought a more relaxing workout this week. I showed up at the Westin Hotel about 5 pm and did a light swim in the pool, followed by time in hot tub, sauna, shower and then a sports massage....that is how all training should be. Let me tell you it was a great experience....almost as good as the unmentioned massage I had on Monday night :)

Well it is Friday now, almost time to leave work and go home and get ready for my weekend workouts.

No comments: