View Troy Gorostiza's profile on LinkedIn

Monday, March 12, 2007

Week 17 3/12/07

19 days until the race....... Time to make sure I am in shape.

I had a great workout week, took Monday off and then had a very strong pool swim on Tuesday night. Wednesday evening's track practice took us to a new level with "Patrick's" speed workout. We did 3 300m sprints, each followed by a 100m cool down and then after the 3rd interval did an 800m run at our 1ok pace....then do all of this again 3 times total. Needless to say, I was definitely pretty darn tired and I think my heart rate monitor hit a new level....not sure really how high my max heart rate can go now....

I ended up going to Fiesta Island at 6am Thursday morning to do some bike interval work around the island and well let's see....this actually was not a very strong workout, my legs were still very sore from the night before and it showed on the bike. That evening after work I was determined to get the lactic acid outta my legs, so I went to the gym and did the elliptical trainer and then some abs and back, to strengthen the core (coach should love this) !!! Took Friday off and then we did our transition training practice at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas in the morning and then a 25-30 mile ride up the coast, out to the east to college and then back. I just got a tune up on my bike and it is now riding like an 18 wheeler, I think they did a tune down, I gotta get the bike back in the shop.

On Sunday I woke, after only a few hours of sleep, to a throbbing headache that I was not used to in a long time....I was hungover. I had to go out Saturday night, I have been itching to let loose a bit and the weather was so nice, how could you not? Let's just say that I got the drinking itch outta me and now I hope to only have the occasional beer or two until the race is over.

Any ways, I still made it to La Jolla for our 2pm swim and it was absolutely gorgeous outside. As a matter of fact, it felt just like summer, about 75 degrees, crystal clear and of course crowds and traffic everywhere. After walking close to 1/2 mile to get to the beach I was definitely getting the itch to get in the water, for two reasons, I was still hungover, but I also really wanted to swim....which was a good feeling t0 have.

After a few minutes of relaxing, we were in our suits and off....a pleasant change to some of the group practices where we end up sitting for an hour or more listening to coach and going over one thing or another. This was an out and back swim, from La Jolla Shores to about 1/4 of a mile from La Jolla Cove. This was a 3/4 mile out and back swim, so 1.5 miles at the least. I say that because that is if you swim in a straight line, which few of us are proficient enough to do. The image in this blog is actually a screenshot from Google Earth on one of my teammates route (Thanks Brian!!!). He brought his GPS with up and then uploaded the route to see how far off course he strayed. As you will see his route ended up taking him 1.72 miles instead of the 1.5 miles....which definitely is something you do not care to do!!!!


19 days until the race....... another week and then tapering begins....

No comments: