View Troy Gorostiza's profile on LinkedIn

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Week 1 - 11/16/06

So I kicked off this week with the formal training...sort of. I do not have a bike suitable for triathlon training yet so I went to the gym and did spinning on Monday night. Tuesday was the first swim practice so I had to go get a swim cap, goggles and ear plugs....no speedo for me. I am sticking to my board shorts.

We met at a great facility in La Jolla and will continue to do so all season for our training. To be honest, I was a little nervous since I know the swim portion of my training will be the most daunting, and most likely my weakness. With that being said, we sat in the cold (after rain all day) listening to our coach discuss all the nuances and tips on how to be successful.

It was then time to jump in the pool and do some exercises and watch each other flail as we all tried to find our form (mine was maybe somewhat there 15 years ago in high school) and breathing rhythm. Well I made it through the 4 lengths (100 yds) that was required, and honestly was out of breath!!! I am glad this is a 20 week training.

Wednesday was our scheduled run and that went by with no problems. If I cannot run a 10k after running a marathon 5 months ago I have more problems than I thought.

Tonight I am off to my 2nd swim workout of the week, and this workout I will be doing on my own and trying to get my form and breathing down, so that in a few weeks I can build up my strength levels.

No comments: