View Troy Gorostiza's profile on LinkedIn

Monday, November 27, 2006

Week 2 - 11/26/06

Well this was a very eventful week, with Thanksgiving, and some much needed time off from work. Now in my 2nd full week of training I was getting the jist of the new training program and was eager to do some more swimming. I started off my week with an hour long spin session on Monday, then went to swim practice Tuesday night. We went through some drills, most specifically geared around using your legs when you swim.

Did you know that the best swimmers in the world only generate a maximum 5% thrust with their legs? Needless to say I am no where near that, so when we used a kick board and had to do a few drills of about 50 meters, my legs were killing me. Thankfully we moved on to total body movements and I felt much more comfortable than I did a week ago.

On Wednesday I ran about 2 miles in the evening down at the beach, since our mile time trial was postponed to the following week due to permit problems at the college track where we will be training moving forward.

On Thursday I woke up pretty early to run in a Thanksgiving 5k at Balboa Park with some friends and teammates. I took this run pretty seriously, since I needed to have a 5k time trial to start my pacing program. Although there were wayward dogs and moms with stroller all over the course, I still ran pretty good, averaging out at a 7.25 minute mile pace.

I took Friday off from training and then went to our Saturday bike ride on the coast, up in Solana Beach. I still do not have my bike (although I did purchase one, just not in yet) so I had setup a loaner for this Saturday, so I could actually get a ride in.

A small scrape on my arm and 27 miles, this leisurely ride (ya right!!!) was over and honestly I was a bit beat, since I have never rode even close to that far before. I am looking forward to getting my own bike and fine tuning it to my needs. I am hoping to have it in time for next Saturday's ride.

Another week down, quite a few more to go....

No comments: